Friday 5 April 2013

Why a caravan?

It's a long story. For years I had the use of a friend's holiday home on the west coast of Scotland, which was lovely. It made living in the Central Belt bearable because I could escape two or three times a year. Unfortunately my friend had to sell the house and I then found it very difficult to get affordable holiday accommodation for one, particularly in the summer. I did think briefly of getting a bigger tent (I have a small one-woman tent for wild camping) but rejected the idea due to the vagaries of the Scottish summer. Too damned cold, in other words! Over the years I had met several caravanning couples and had realised that caravans had improved since my childhood days. Heating, for a start! Showers and decent cassette toilets for another. I became envious of the ease with which these couples could go off for a weekend with their towable homes. However, what finally decided me was meeting someone who knew another single lady who had learned to tow a caravan, with the help of a towing course. I started looking around and eventually fell in love with a 10 year old Bailey Ranger. It had a mover, which I had decided was essential for solo towing, and was immaculate. The previous owners had obviously looked after it with love. It cost a lot more than I had initially thought of spending but it has been worth every penny. Here is my beautiful wee Bailey -