Thursday 25 April 2013

Caravanning is for the birds!

I am a keen birdwatcher and the caravan is turning out to be a great way to do it. I always keep a pair of binoculars handy in the caravan just in case I see something. I also now take a pole and bird feeders with me on my trips - it's great watching the birds on the feeders as I have my breakfast. There weren't many birds around on my last trip to Bunree, probably because the site had just reopened after winter, but I did have two goldfinches on my feeder for a while. Long enough to take a photo! Normally I have to fill the seed feeder every day on sites like Bunree and Morvich due to the number of birds visiting it. I've even bought an extra-long feeder. It costs me a small fortune in bird seed but it's worth it.
Bunree is also a great site to watch seabirds, being right on the shores of Loch Linnhe. There is a pair of swans which always seems to be there and, in the springtime, a flock of widgeon. There were also a few Canada geese on my last visit. The downside of all this birdlife is the noise - I have frequently been woken at Bunree by either geese honking, ducks quacking or widgeon howling. Sometimes the wildlife can be just a bit too close in a caravan! Another woodland site which I visit has owls hooting, foxes screaming and pheasants making a racket in the early morning.
I glanced out of my caravan window in the woodland site once and just caught sight of a jay on the feeder. I have also had red squirrels visiting the peanut feeder plus a spotted woodpecker. Coal tits are very common, as are chaffinches. Blue tits and great tits are less common, but there are usually one or two around, and a shy robin on the ground, picking up the seeds scattered by the tits. I don't get many birds visiting my garden at home due to the number of cats in the neighbourhood so being able to get such a good view of them from the caravan is just great! Caravanning is definitely for the birds!