Tuesday 16 February 2016

Rising prices

I don't know what the Caravan Club are up to with their pitch prices. Last year I spent a couple of summer weekends on the economy (non-electric) pitch at Clachan for £3 less per night than a pitch with a hookup. It was not worth doing in cold weather as I reckon even in summer without the gas fire on I was using about £2 per night in gas however in July and August it was fine and I was planning to do the same this summer. Unfortunately someone, in their wisdom, has decided to make the charge for an economy pitch at Clachan (and also at Altnaharra) exactly the same as the charge for an electric pitch. That means the so-called economy pitch will be more expensive when I take the cost of gas to heat the water and cool my wine into account. The only advantage in booking it will be that I will know in advance which pitch I'm going on, thereby reducing the time between arrival at site and sitting with a glass of wine in my hand and a pizza in the oven.

It will also be cheaper for me, as a solo caravanner, to go to Bunree with hookup and a heated toilet block in April or Morvich with ditto in October than to go to Clachan, with no toilet block, in those months which is ludicrous. Are they trying to dissuade solo caravanners from going to Clachan and Altnaharra? Those are precisely the sort of sites solos like! I think it's time the Caravan Club realised that we don't all tour as couples or families and we don't want to pay for electricity we are not getting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome provided they are civil.