Monday 30 September 2013

The benefits of being forgettable

I finally did pluck up the courage to go back to Braemar and, fortunately, the wardens didn't seem to remember me! Sometimes being forgettable has its advantages. I did make sure that I didn't jog their memories by managing to find a suitable pitch first time round, helped by the fact that the site was a lot quieter than July. By 6pm I was pitched, with the garlic bread in the oven and a glass of white wine to hand. The next day was a lovely, calm September day - ideal for hillwalking - so I drove to Linn of Dee and cycled up to Derry Lodge.
The track into Derry Lodge

I set off up the path towards Beinn Bhreac and was overtaken by a couple with two dogs. We got chatting, as you do, and I discovered that they also were in a caravan at the Braemar site. Small world. The sun was still shining when I got back to the site later that afternoon but, unfortunately, not on my pitch! However it was still warm enough for me to sit outside until it got too dark to see my laptop. I had a few minutes of panic when I saw a large minibus arrive in the tent area, right behind my caravan, (visions of hordes of noisy scouts), however it only seemed to have two occupants. Had they dropped the kids off to go wild camping while they had the benefit of a campsite with hot showers?

Braemar becomes an independently run site at the end of the season- hopefully that will not mean a price hike. It's a great location and must bring a lot of welcome income to the shops of Braemar. I'd certainly like to visit it again.